John appears before various municipal land use development boards regarding the land use entitlement process. His background in municipal representation provides a unique insight and experience into the land use development process that permits him to provide superior service. John advises clients on various aspects of real estate development and provides advice regarding New York’s State Environmental Quality Review Act and other state and local laws regarding development.
John also is experienced in providing due diligence of renewable energy projects, including wind, battery energy storage, and solar for complex transaction. He analyzes complex local, State, and federal environmental and land use matters and identifies potential legal defects and risks associated with projects and advises on potential cures and risks management.
John regularly represents businesses and industrial clients in areas such as solid waste, aggregates, wetlands, and mining before administrative agencies, including New York State Department of Environmental Conservation and the United States Environmental Protection Agency, and local municipalities regarding permitting and enforcement matters.
- New York State Courts
- United States District Court for the Southern District of New York
- Analyzing applicable zoning codes and advising clients on the procedural and substantive land use requirements regarding real estate developments.
- Advising clients on the State Quality Environmental Quality Review Act and compliance therewith.
- Representing and advising developers on avoidance of development moratoria and establishing vested rights under existing zoning codes.
- Analyzing zoning codes and drafting amendments in accordance with the client’s needs.
- Completing due diligence on financial transactions regarding a variety of renewable energy projects and other environmental concerns.
- Obtain necessary zone changes, area variances and approvals for construction of various types of developments, including commercial, mixed-use, and multi-family.
- Defend against administrative enforcement for violations of environmental law and regulations, including solid waste and C&D materials.
- Represent clients in civil and criminal environmental enforcement matters, including the negotiation of Orders on Consent.
- Albany County Bar Association
- American Bar Association
- New York State Bar Association
- Rated by Super Lawyers as a Rising Star in the Upstate New York Edition for Energy & Resources