Adam J. Schultz
University of Oregon, B.S., 1985; Vermont Law School, J.D., cum laude and M.S.E.L., 1990, cum laude
Adam assists national, regional and local clients in achieving success in matters of permitting (including zoning and environmental review), compliance, remediation, enforcement and litigation. He provides strategic advice and precise execution in sensitive, high-profile proceedings, including energy development projects, resource extraction, infrastructure, and commercial and industrial development and re-development.
Adam also advises construction industry clients on government procurement and contracting matters, including False Claims Act defense, suspension and debarment proceedings, vendor responsibility matters and DBE, MBE and WBE utilization issues.
- New York State Courts
- Pennsylvania State Courts
- Vermont State Courts
- Oregon State Courts
- United States District Court for the Northern, Southern, Eastern and Western Districts of New York
- Permitting 1st horizontal Marcellus natural gas well in New York post-SGEIS.
- Successfully conclude more than 100 local, state and federal right-to-build processes for numerous types of commercial and industrial development projects, including local, state and federal permit proceedings and adjudicatory hearings.
- General Counsel to the New York Construction Materials Association (crushed stone, sand & gravel, asphalt and concrete producers).
- Lead counsel for comprehensive environmental review and multi-phased development of the New York Statewide Wireless Network (1,200 antenna homeland security network) and implementation of environmental review and permitting strategy for multiple county-wide emergency radio communications system upgrades.
- Advising on New York Public Service Commission (PSC) and Federal Energy Regulatory Commission (FERC) siting and permitting process for natural gas pipelines, and the regulatory, technical and political issues surrounding resource development.
- Advising on comprehensive legal strategy and project management in civil, regulatory and legislative permitting and operational matters and successfully defend approvals or challenge denials.
- Advising and representing clients regarding application and compliance with the State Environmental Quality Review Act (SEQRA) and/or National Environmental Policy Act (NEPA).
- Assisting clients with permitting and compliance with various complex environmental laws, including the Clean Water Act and wetlands (CWA), Clean Air Act (CAA), Leaking Underground Storage Tanks (LUST), Petroleum Bulk Storage (PBS) soil contamination, Mined Land Reclamation Law (MLRL), Mine Safety and Health Administration (MSHA) and others.
- Represent project applicants in complex zoning matters, including strategies to exempt projects from zoning requirements.
- Representing clients regarding all manner of environmental contamination liability, remediation and litigation, including Comprehensive Environmental Response Compensation and Liability Act (CERCLA) cost recovery actions, Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA), asbestos, and lead paint requirements, and residential, commercial and industrial brownfield redevelopment matters.
- Represent private land owners in defending and prosecuting cost recovery actions related to federal and state required soil and groundwater remediation.
- Successfully defend federal and state civil and criminal environmental enforcement actions.
- Defend construction industry clients in False Claims Act matters and related suspension/debarment proceedings before state and federal regulatory and enforcement agencies.
- Represent industry interests in removing MBE and WBE requirements from FOB bids.
- New York State Bar Association
- Vermont State Bar Association
- Oregon State Bar Association
- American Bar Association